DIY Prop Chair Makeover

June 08, 2015  •  Leave a Comment

I am trying to think more outside the box when it comes to purchasing props for my photography. I have been wanting a cute simple chair with arms and I found this one at Goodwill. I bought it for $4.25!!!  Thankfully my husband is usually game for a project! We did this all on a Sunday at home. 

"Before" "Before"

This is the "before" picture the way I purchased it. We took off the seat and took out nails that were keeping in old vinyl cover. I cleaned the grimy cloth seat and let dry in the sun.

Beer and music make it feel less like work, which is important when convincing your husband this is a good way to spend Sunday afternoon. 

I didn't want to sand the wood - or let's be honest, I didn't want to ask my husband to sand the wood. So we got a primer + paint in white to just paint over the finish on the chair. 

This is after the first coat of paint. It dried pretty fast in the sun and we ended up needing three full coats.

This is the vinyl material I purchased at Joanne's for $6.99. It's technically "table cloth", but I liked the pattern and it was inexpensive.

We cut the material and used a staple gun to fasten it to the base of the seat. Some of the corners required a little cutting to stretch and fit the funky angles. 

The finished product! I am pretty happy with how it turned out and proud of us for doing it...I am not always the most crafty person and it probably wouldn't have looked half as nice had my husband not done everything he did! 

Cute subject to model the finished product! If you are in the Williamsburg area and want of a photo session of your cute subject  (we don't have to use my new chair LOL)  contact me today!! 


Comments

No comments posted.
Loading...